|Research Policies and Procedures|
|REVISION OF WSPA Research Policies and Procedures
All requests to WSPA to conduct research using WSPA resources must meet the following requirements.
1. The researcher who is making the request must be a WSPA member or student member enrolled in a Wisconsin school psychology program. (Out of state applicants must apply for nonrefundable membership prior to having their research request considered.)
2. The researcher must provide evidence of approval for the project by their Institutional Review Board (IRB).
3. The research must be deemed likely to make a contribution to WSPA and/or the field of school psychology by WSPA. WSPA may consider its mission and vision statements as well as it position papers in making this determination.
4. The research must be conducted in accordance with well-established research methods.
5. The number, timing, method, and content of the research must not conflict with any WSPA-sponsored research, the WSPA Strategic Plan and must not negatively impact participants.
6. If the research project is accepted, the researcher must submit a money order or cashier’s check for $100 to the WSPA Treasurer prior to the survey being sent out. Immediately after completion of the study, the researcher must submit a high-quality summary of findings (up to 2000 words), signed off on by the researcher and researcher’s primary advisor. The researcher and advisor are signing off that the article is accurate and of high quality. This summary may be published in the WSPA Sentinel and/or on the website. The researcher may then request a refund of $50 within 30 calendar days of submitting their article by contacting (by email or letter) the treasurer with a request. The other $50 will be applied towards student scholarships. If the researcher does not request a refund of $50 within 30 calendar days of submitting their article, that money will also be applied towards student scholarships.
Procedures for Requesting Access to Research Participants
Submit a written request and all documentation to the current WSPA President. The request must include the following information.
1. Brief research proposal to include:
a. Title of Investigation.
b. Principal Investigators. Your name, affiliation, and complete contact information. Identify the lead researcher and provide his or her affiliation and complete contact information. If the research is a student thesis or dissertation, provide the name, university affiliation, and complete contact information of the faculty advisor. Provide the names and affiliations of all other research team members.
c. Brief Description of the Purpose of the Research. Describe how your purpose fits into the WSPA vision or mission statement if you would like.
d. Methods. Describe the study methods and state whether the collected data will be anonymous or confidential. Describe plans to maintain the privacy of participants. Include a complete copy of final survey as it will appear in final form.
e. Sample. Indicate size and characteristics (e.g. 100 randomly selected regular members). WSPA does not guarantee any sample size.
f. Benefits of the Research. Briefly describe the benefits to WSPA or to the profession of school psychology.
2. Documentation of approval by your Institutional Review Board (IRB).
3. Signed Faculty Advisor’s Approval Form. This form must be signed by the student’s faculty advisor to declare that he or she has read and approved the documents submitted by the student.
A research review committee consisting of 3 members (and 1-2 alternatives) will be appointed by the President at each Long Range Planning Meeting. Faculty members who are directly supervising students making a request are expected to recuse themselves. Requests will be reviewed by the research review committee as they are received and a response will be provided within 60 days of submission of accurately completed documentation. The request will be approved, denied, or approved pending receipt of revisions.
Upon approval, the researcher will be contacted by WSPA with information regarding how to proceed. The money order or cashier’s check for $100 must be received by the WSPA Treasurer prior to the survey being sent out.
The researcher will need to submit a summary of findings (up to 2000 words), a completed Faculty Advisor’s Approval of Student’s Summary form, and a completed Student’s Affirmation of Study form to WSPA’s Sentinel editor. Contact information for the Sentinel editor and the WSPA treasurer are found on the WSPA website.
Future published or presented research that was based on the use of WSPA resources should include an acknowledgement of WSPA’s role in making the research possible.
WSPA reserves the right to protect all WSPA resources as well as its members. Therefore, research requests will be limited to a maximum of 5 per year starting at the Long Range Planning meeting. Requests beyond that maximum will be notified of the timeline for their request.
Faculty Advisor’s Approval of Student’s Request for a Research Sample
I have read the documents submitted to the WSPA Research Committee in support of my student’s application for a research sample of WSPA members. I have approved these documents.
Name of Student (Please Print)______________________________________________
Institution (Please Print) ____________________________________________________
Signature of Faculty Advisor _________________________________________________
Name of Faculty Advisor (Please Print)_________________________________________
Faculty Advisor’s Approval of Student’s Summary
To be submitted with research summary to Sentinel editor after the completion of research
I have read the enclosed summary of findings by my advisee and believe this work is appropriate for the Sentinel Newsletter and/or WSPA website. I affirm, to the best of my knowledge, that this work is accurate and of high quality.
Name of Student (Please Print)_______________________________________________
Institution (Please Print)______________________________________________________
Signature of Faculty Advisor___________________________________________________
Name of Faculty Advisor (Please Print)___________________________________________
Student’s Affirmation of Summary
I agree to have any portions or all of my summary published in the WSPA Sentinel and/or on the WSPA website. I affirm, to the best of my knowledge, that this work is accurate and of high quality.
Name of Student (Please Print)_________________________________________________
Institution (Please Print)________________________________________________________
Signature of Faculty Advisor_____________________________________________________
Name of Faculty Advisor (Please Print)_____________________________________________
Congratulations on completing your project! We hope your experience with our listserv support has been positive.
Fifty dollars of your original $100 payment is automatically applied towards student scholarships. Please indicate below how you would like us to direct your other $50.
___I would like WSPA so send a check for $50 to me at the following address:
___I would like WSPA to consider the $50 as an additional donation for student scholarships.
___I agree to have my donation acknowledged in an upcoming WSPA Sentinel
___I wish to not agree to be acknowledged in an upcoming WSPA Sentinel
Good luck in your future. Please consider staying a WSPA member throughout your career as a school psychologist.